Thursday, February 3, 2011

I can go anyway, I can live anyhow, I can go anywhere

So the semester is in full swing now, with week two coming to an end, and I'm once again finding I have less and less time to do the fun things I want to. Now, the afternoons that I'm not in class are spent up in my dormroom doing homework and the evenings after dinner are spent reading textbooks. Fun stuff, no? There is actually one exception, though. See I'm taking an English class all about studying Jane Austen's works, so luckily that means that some of that reading I have to do isn't from textbooks, but rather classic novels like Northanger Abbey and Persuasion. This makes me pretty happy, not gonna lie. Unfortunately the issue becomes putting an Austen book down to start reading for another class, heh.

One escape I can afford during the school months comes by way of music. I'm one of those non-committal, indecisive types who says they like all genres of music and don't have a singular favorite artist, except in my case it's really true. I can name multiple favorite artists by genre and/or decade, and my playlists are always extremely diverse. But if you asked me what my favorite songs are, even by category, I'd be lost for an answer -or if I did give an answer, it'd probably change by the next morning. In retrospect, I don't think I really have favorite artists in the true sense of the term...That is to say, if I told you one of my favorite bands is Band of Horses, that doesn't mean that I know allll their songs, it basically means I recognize and enjoy their personal style of music. Of course there are some others, like The Who for instance (I sincerely love The Who), who have so many great songs that I do happen to know a great deal of them (I won't say all, just in case). That being said, I have no personal problem with any specific artists -it annoys me to no end whenever I hear someone bashing an artist, someone whom they have no personal connection and can't possibly know their personal life and likely get their information from tabloids (coincidently I also think tabloids are pointless and crappy, and I never trust a word printed in them). Most of Justin Beiber and Miley Cyrus' songs would very likely not make it on any of my playlists, but I don't profess that they are terrible or that I hate them/their music. What's the point in that? I don't like any of their songs particularly, so I don't listen to them. Bashing them publicly does nothing for me. I just figure most people need to hate on those whose names are more famous than their own in order to feel better about themselves. Poor chaps need a self-confidence course, seriously.

That was a bit of a long rant, my badness. So now a bit of sad news. It has been a bit over a week since my last post, so I haven't been able to share this yet, but last week I found out that the mission trip to Northern Ireland that I was trying to get on filled up its limit for girls, so I won't be able to go. Depressing, eh? I was sincerely looking forward to my first overseas trip. And it was to IRELAND. Pity. I've come to terms with it and all, anyhow. Oh well. I'll get there eventually, so look out world. =]

So one of those fun things I haven't had a chance to do lately is re-color my hair. Now, I am thoroughly decided against dying my pretty blonde hair; I'm quite partial to its color, and I wouldn't want to lighten it or go brunette or anything. But I do believe in having some fun; a few days before returning to campus (now just over two weeks ago) I dyed a bright blue peek-a-boo patch, and it's begun to fade to an icy blue instead of the electric blue it originally was. I've been meaning to brighten it up, but that takes a lot of free time (well, not a lot a lot, but I'm doing it myself and it's bound to take some time) and since I have three night classes in the week, along with working kid care one night, I find my nights are kinda busy. Blah. Hopefully I can manage enough time to knock it out Friday night.

Speaking of kids care -one more thing before I sign off- can I just say I lovelovelove working with little kids. They're so much fun ! I can color with them, or read silly kids books, or sing with them, or play with puzzles, and they're fascinated with whatever we decide to do. On Wednesday nights I take over nursery duty for a couple hours for parents who attend a growth group at the church I attend while at the college, so every Wednesday night I get to be a little immature -it's the perfect job for me, hahah.

Well, I think I've taken too much time from my reading. Time to finish the requirements for tonight, joyy. I shall return to ramble my nonsense again one day. For now, I entrust you with the task of listening to at least one full album of The Who's. I dare you not to love them.

Gung hay fat choy !
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Designed by Lena